A Work in Progress
This year will mark the sixth time I enter ArtPrize. For those of you that don't know, ArtPrize is an annual competition here in Grand Rapids. This year also marks the sixth year of losing my mother. My mom was always my biggest supporter of anything I wanted to do in life, except maybe moving to Michigan. She knew I was creative, but she never got to see me actually come into my own as an artist. Her passing during the pandemic catapulted me into my art career. I found solace in painting and a way to tamp down my grief. In the last 6 years, I have created well over 150 pieces. What I haven't done, is take the time to grieve.
The piece above is called, "Because I Knew You." It is an interpretation of the urn that holds my mother's ashes. The five yellow roses symbolize her 5 children - my siblings and I. The 10 white roses represent our children, her grandchildren, who were her pride and joy. The title comes from the song, "For Good" from Wicked. As many times as I have heard the song, listening to it while I was painting touched me in a really unexpected way.
"It well may be that we will never meet again in this lifetime, so let me say before we part, so much of me is made of what I learned from you, you'll be with me like a handprint on my heart... because I knew you, I have been changed for good."
Painting felt like the perfect way to honor her, our relationship, and to finally work on the grief that I haven't been able to put into words.

I appreciate you sharing this with us. Your story is very touching, and I think it’s wonderful to see how well the theme of 'Because I Knew You' comes across in what you have shared. The symbolism, especially with the use of the roses as a symbol of your family, makes this very personal and full of love.
ReplyDeleteI think it’s interesting to note the way in which painting came to be a tool for you to deal with what happened and work through some of your grieving, something that hadn’t been possible for you until this point. Although it’s unfortunate that your mom never got to see you come into your own as an artist, it’s very obvious to see just how much she’s influenced you as a person and an artist.
Laura, this is an absolutely beautiful piece to commemorate your mother. Art is nothing without emotion and yours portrays so much. I feel the grief and sorrow with the dark colors but the purity and innocence within her white dress and the bright roses. It is so unfortunate your mother never got to see you blossom into such a creative artist. Keep channeling your emotions into beautiful works of art. You have so much talent! Thank you for so openly sharing your story. I can't wait to read your next blog post.
ReplyDelete