You Touched My Hair...During Black History Month?
I am fortunate enough to have a career that allows me to work from home most of the time. Last week though, I was in the office talking with a coworker when another woman walked up, grabbed my hair and said, "oh your hair is so cute!"
I immediately jerked my head away and said, "Thank you, but don't touch my hair."
She looked surprised. "Don't touch your hair?"
I didn't hesitate. "NO… Don't touch my hair."
I love changing my hairstyle. Unfortunately this wasn't the first time I've had to say that at work. I've had someone walk up to me and squeeze my afro puff. Someone else touched the beads in my braids. None of it was malicious, but that doesn't make it okay. It shouldn't happen at all.
First and foremost, touching anyone without permission is inappropriate, especially in the workplace. Second, I am a person - not an object, not a curiosity, and not a pet.
Microaggressions like this still happen, and it's exhausting to have to explain over and over, why they aren't okay - especially during Black History Month.
This year marks the 100th anniversary of Black History Month. Originally founded by the Association for the Study of African American Life and History (ASALH) in February 1926, it began as a way to preserve and honor Black life, culture, and history.
You can read more about its origins here, and more about why it's not okay to touch a Black woman's hair here.
Black History Month exists to honor our humanity, our
history, and our contributions. Appreciation does not require access to our
bodies. The most meaningful place to start is with respect.

Comments
Post a Comment